the wusthof classic nine piece knife block set if you’re looking for a comprehensive set of quality kitchen knives that has everything you need for any kitchen task then this is the one for you this awesome set of knives is made from high carbon stainless steel that is precision forged and tempered to 58 degree rockwell hardness so they’re not only razor sharp but they’re also highly durable and will stay that way with proper care each knife comes with a triple riveted handle for exceptional strength and durability and the ergonomic handle provides exceptional comfort and control the set includes a 3.5 inch paring knife a 5 inch serrated utility knife an 8 inch bread knife an 8 inch chef’s knife and a 6 inch boning knife plus it comes with nine inch sharpening steel kitchen shears and a hardwood knife block and the best part is that this set is backed by wolfstoff’s lifetime warranty so if you ever have any issues with these knives they will take care of it for you if we have to be picky the only downside to these knives is that they’re not dishwasher safe so you’ll need to hand wash them and dry them immediately to keep them looking and performing their best still that’s a minor inconvenience for such an otherwise exceptional set of knives so all in all the wusthof classic 9-piece knife block set is the best all-purpose kitchen knife set that we recommend to most people if you’re looking for a great set of kitchen knives that are durable razor-sharp and will cover all of your needs then this would be the one to get next up is our pick for the best budget knife set and that’s going to be
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – 9 Piece Knife Set with full tang triple riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat and impact. The WÜSTHOF Classic Series has been our best-selling series for generations
- PRECISION FORGED – WÜSTHOF's Classic Series Knives are forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- WÜSTHOF KNIFE SET – Includes 3 1/2" Paring Knife, 4 1/2" Utility Knife, 4 1/2" Asian Utility Knife, 5" Serrated Utility Knife, 8" Bread Knife, 8" Cook’s Knife, 9" Honing Steel, Come-Apart Kitchen Shears and a 17-Slot Block
- DURABLE – WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling. This German made Kitchen Knife set Comes with a limited Lifetime Warranty
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
- FOR HOME CHEFS & PROFESSIONALS. This 4-piece Fibrox Pro Chef's Set contains a chef’s, bread, utility, and paring knife. Each is crafted with high carbon stainless steel, conical ground, and ice tempered to ensure long-lasting sharpness.
- ONE FOR EACH TASK. Designed with a bolsterless edge that allows for easier sharpening and entire blade use for chopping, mincing, slicing, and dicing. So whether you're slicing bread or mincing shallots, these knives have you covered.
- EASY HANDLING. Each knife features an ergonomic Fibrox Pro handle that's textured for a non-slip grip -- even when wet. These exceptional knives are weighted and balanced for easy handling.
- KNIFE DIMENSIONS. Stainless steel blades; This set includes a 8" chef knife, 10.25" bread knife, 6" utility knife, 4" paring knife. Meets the strict National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) standards for public health protection.
- TRUSTED SWISS QUALITY. Expertly crafted in Switzerland in 1884, Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
- Royale Elite Next Level Block Set / 5 Pc. Includes: E/9686-8S, E/9699-9, E/9688-6, E/9691-3.1/2, NLB-12AC
How to choose a kitchen knife set?
According to its blade
As we have already mentioned above, each knife is intended for a specific use, in particular according to the shape of its blade. Depending on the food you want to cut, peel or slice, the choice will be made between 3 large varieties of blades.
If you need to make clean, clean cuts, MN advises you to use a smooth-edged knife. A smooth blade will indeed allow you to slice, but also to peel without fraying. It will most often be used on meat, vegetables and fruits.
On the other hand, if you want to cut food with a thick skin or a somewhat hard crust, the best tool will be a knife with a serrated or serrated blade. This type of blade will be able to deal effectively with cutting bread or rind, but also fruits and vegetables with fragile flesh such as tomatoes. And so as not to waste time peeling off your thin slices of ham or salmon on the blade, nothing is more practical than a dimpled or fluted blade.
According to its material
The most common models on the market are sets of professional kitchen knives equipped with a stainless steel blade. It is indeed a material particularly resistant to rust and corrosion. Nevertheless, most models are designed with a blade made from a composition of different materials, including carbon and chrome.
You can check on the name of the knife the carbon content that makes up its blade. The higher the carbon content, the greater the hardness of the blade. That is, its sharpness will last longer. You can also check the hardness of your knife using the Rockwell or HRC index.
For knife blades, it can vary between 50 and 60 HRC and from 54 HCR, you already benefit from a very good hardness. Be aware, however, that these types of blades require regular sharpening for maintenance. If you want to benefit from a good edge for longer without having to maintain your blades daily, MN suggests that you turn to ceramic kitchen knives.
Depending on his sleeve
At the level of the handle of the knives, you have the choice between wood, plastic or steel. Individuals will certainly have an undeniable crush on wooden models, especially for their aesthetics and the elegance they exude. However, wooden handles require specific maintenance that not everyone will be able to follow on a daily basis.
Indeed, these must be washed by hand since they absorb water. However, if you absolutely want to opt for this material, MN advises you to bet on compressed wood which does not absorb humidity and which is dishwasher safe. In addition, the professional kitchen knife set models have a handle fixed by direct injection made of ABS or polypropylene. These materials have the advantage of resisting heat and detergents.
Also note that the more tang fixing rivets there are on the handle, the more robust the knife is. This robustness is also felt on hand-forged Japanese kitchen knives, as well as all fully forged knives. These are actually molded in one piece from the blade to the handle to form a knife.
Why buy a kitchen knife set?
To work effectively on all types of food
All chefs and apprentice cooks know it: there is a knife for every use. If this philosophy is followed to the letter in the field of restoration, it is above all because it is logical. The remark is quickly made to see within each household that the use of a universal knife on different types of food is really not practical nor effective.
This is why even at home, you should acquire a minimum of 4 different knives, including the paring knife for paring and precision, the chef’s knife for multiple uses, the fish knife and the paring knife. meat. These utensils will allow you both to work more efficiently, but also to respect each food to avoid fraying, cutting difficulties or even poorly made slicing.
To save money
When we talk about a set, we are talking about a set of several pieces provided in a single article. And you should know that most products sold in batches often cost less than if you bought the same parts separately.
Hence the advantage of buying a set of Japanese kitchen knives which could definitely cost you less instead of getting different knives from different stores and different brands. Buying a set of knives at a certain price also guarantees you a lasting investment if you have taken the time to choose it well.
Indeed, it is better to get a set of knives to ensure quality rather than investing in several utensils purchased separately, some of which will not last more than a week. This will prevent you from spending in several installments and will save you a lot of money.
The different types of kitchen knife
The universal knife
This type of knife is between the paring knife and the chef’s knife. It has a thick blade and measures between 13 and 30 cm long. It is used in particular to cut fruits and vegetables on a more regular basis.
The Japanese knife
Also called a santoku, the Japanese knife has a high, slightly curved blade with a thin, straight edge.
Measuring between 10 and 20 cm long and often equipped with cells, it allows different types of work on fatty foods and fragile flesh. It is the ideal tool for slicing vegetables, chopping herbs, slicing meat or slicing fish.
The bread knife
It is a knife with large teeth that allow you to cut bread and pastries without forming crumbs and in a very clean way.
The ham knife
With its curved shape and thin, very long blade, the ham knife is perfect for cutting thin slices of ham, bacon and smoked salmon.
The paring knife
This is the type of knife typically used for precision work, such as peeling vegetables or turning fruits and vegetables.
The latter is equipped with a short blade of 7 to 11 cm, both very sharp and thick.
The chef’s knife
This is certainly the knife you are used to using on a daily basis.
Practical and multipurpose, it has a length between 13 and 30 cm and has a thick and long blade to perform different tasks, such as chopping herbs, cutting vegetables, slicing fish and even preparing meat.
The tomato knife
To make beautiful, precise and thin slices, the ideal knife for preparing tomatoes is one with a serrated blade.
The fish knife
The santoku knife is most often used for different applications, one of which is cutting fish.
We also use the sole or filleting knife which will be used exclusively to fillet fish. The latter has a thin, very flexible blade ideal for lifting fillets of meat or fish.
The boning knife
It is a knife model with a rigid blade that does not fear twisting and use in force.
It has a narrow, flexible blade that easily penetrates between flesh and bone. It also makes it possible to debone, shell, butcher, scale, denervate and remove fat.
Also called a kitchen cleaver, the butcher’s sheet has an XXL format and a substantial weight in order to cut up the carcasses in the blink of an eye by lever action.
Thanks to her dish, she can crush food so that it releases all its flavors.
It will slice the meat cleanly so that it retains its texture and juices. The slicer can also be used on a roast, a rib of beef and poultry.
Leave a Reply