Grill Lovers’ Whole Wheat Naan Recipe
- • 1 (.25 oz.) package active dry yeast
- • 1 cup warm water
- • 2 Tbls. white sugar
- • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- • 1 egg, lightly beaten
- • 2 tsp. salt
- • 2-21/2 cups bread flour
- • 1¾-2 cups whole hard white wheat flour
- • 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Add the warm water and yeast to the bowl of a stand mixer. Let rest for 10 minutes, until the yeast has bloomed. Add the sugar, yogurt, egg, and salt to the water. Whisk until combined.
- Add 1 cup of bread flour and 1 cup of whole-wheat flour to the liquid mixture, stir with the paddle attachment of the mixer. Slowly add remaining flours until soft, elastic dough is formed. Knead for 3-5 minutes with the electric mixer.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment when the dough becomes too thick for the paddle. Alternatively, you can knead by hand on a lightly floured surface.
- Remove dough from the bowl, oil bowl, replace dough and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to rise for approximately 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch the dough down and pull off small handfuls of dough (about the size of a golf ball). Roll the dough into balls and place on a greased baking tray. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise again until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Cook the Naan on a greased grill preheated to high. Roll the dough balls into a thin circle or oval. Cook on the grill for 2-3 minutes per side, or until puffy and browned.
- Brush the cooked side with melted butter, then turn over and cook on the remaining side for 2-3 more minutes. Remove, and cook remaining until the process is complete.
Do you like that post? Spread the word!