Grill Lovers’ Korean BBQ: Kogi Tacos Recipe
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs:
- • 3 pounds flanken-style beef short ribs
- • 1 cup soy sauce
- • 1/2 cup brown sugar
- • 1/3 cup mirin
- • 1/4 cup sesame oil
- • 6 cloves garlic
- • 6 scallions
- • 2 tsp. fresh peeled ginger
- Korean-Style Slaw:
- • 3 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
- • 1 cup daikon, diced into matchsticks
- • 1 cup bean sprouts
- • 6 scallions, diced
- • 3 Tbls. cilantro, chopped
- • 1 lime, juiced
- • 2 Tbls. soy sauce
- • 1 Tbls. mirin
- • 1 Tbls. sriracha or chili pepper sauce
- • 1 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- For Assembly:
- • 10-15 yellow corn tortillas
- • sriracha
- Begin by cutting off excess fat from the short ribs. You can also remove the membrane under the bone side of the rib. Place in a large flat dish or in a zip-top bag.
- In a food processor, blend together soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, sesame oil, garlic, scallions and ginger. Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Pour the rest of the sauce over the short ribs, ensuring all ribs are covered.
- Seal tightly and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- To prepare the slaw: Place Napa cabbage, daikon, spouts, scallions and cilantro together in a medium to large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, mirin and sriracha. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Store covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Reduce the extra marinade ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick. Place in a serving bowl to drizzle on tacos.
- Heat your grill to 550° F or so**. The intent here is to flash cook the meat while simultaneously caramelizing the marinade. Place your short ribs on the grill. Cook for three minutes and flip. Cook an additional three minutes, wrap in foil and set aside. Lower grill heat to medium. Place corn tortillas on the grill. Flip after 45 seconds. Grill for another 45 seconds and remove.
- Cut short ribs into strips, avoiding the bones. Assemble your Korean tacos: Corn tortilla, barbecued short ribs, a drizzle of Korean barbecue sauce, Napa cabbage slaw and extra sriracha to match your tastes. Serve immediately.
- **If you are doing chicken, you will want to lower the heat a bit and extend the cooking time.
Do you like that post? Spread the word!