Grill Lovers’ Grilled Octopus Recipe
- • 3 pounds clean octopus
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 4 thyme branches
- • 20 peppercorns
- • 1-teaspoon salt, plus to taste
- • 1 head garlic, cut in half along it equator
- • 3 lemons
- • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- • Minced parsley to garnish
- Combine Octopus, bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, 1-teaspoon salt, garlic and 1 lemon, cut in half, in saucepan along with water to cover. Turn heat to medium, cover and bring to boil. Adjust heat so that liquid simmers slowly, and cook until octopus is tender for 30-60 minutes, depending on whether you’re using 2 smaller Octopus or 1 larger one. Check for doneness with point of sharp knife.
- Drain, discarding everything and set aside the octopus (This can be prepared 24 hours in advance up to this point; cover and refrigerate octopus).
- Start charcoal or wood fire, or preheat gas grill; fire should be quite hot. Grill rack about 4” from heat source. Cut octopus into large serving pieces, brush it with half of the olive oil, and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Grill it quickly until outside browns but inside is not dried out. Cut remaining lemon wedges.
- Brush octopus with remaining olive oil. Serve with lemon wedges, hot or at room temperature, garnished with parsley.
Do you like that post? Spread the word!